Thursday, July 3, 2008

Shades of Gray

If you've watched Deadliest Catch or read anything about the Aleutians you've probably heard about the endless gray skies - I think Aleutian Gray is even a color - but the thing is, there are a million different shades of gray swirled together. There may be patchy cloud cover at 1200 feet hugging the mountain tops and another layer at 3000 feet and then a patch of blue sky here and there thrown in for good measure, all moving and changing at high speed from the wind. I have a love/hate relationship with the gray skies - they always make the sky look washed out in relation to the things on the land but when I just stop worrying about what they make the mountains look like and just focus on the clouds themselves - that is magic . . . .

And that is my bit of philosphy for the day - take a second look at setbacks and troubles as they often reveal beauty and opportunities upon closer inspection . . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the philosophical thought that goes with this. It reminds me of how I try to find "meaning" and "purpose" in nearly everything too.

Lothian said...

Thanks for the philosophy to ponder. As much as it feels like life is kicking us down, you are right that sometimes there IS beauty there.

Ken said...

Looking at the pictures make want to move to Unalaska, Alaska, or at least come visit.
Happy 4th of July and thanks for visiting my blog.