Thursday, February 7, 2008

Post #201 F/V Auriga

Well, I think I'm going to try it back at work tommorow. Two shots in the tush and a bunch of oral medications seem to be heading me down the road to recovery. I need to take a photo sometime when the dressings are off, it really is quite colorful. The docs seem to be comfortable with it just being an infection, not a blood clot. They told me that if it WAS a clot, and it broke free, I should have a little warning before it made it to my heart because you can feel it move and will feel "a sense of impending doom", so I'm on the watch for that for awhile I guess . . . . new hobby, checking for impending doom . . . .

I can't believe I missed two days of work - out here on the island folks never miss work, they have to be on their deathbed. There were only 9 days TOTAL lost to sickness and injury in my whole company last year - a company that at times has 500 people working. No one misses work . . . it's actually a refreshing atmosphere to work in, and it's all the more amazing by our 12 hour a day 7 day a week schedule.

I noticed I've gone over the 200 post mark! I remember thinking that since the island is so small, I might not be able to find material to have this blog for long - I now know that won't be a problem, I think anyone anywhere in the world can just look at what goes on in their backyard and find something new everyday for years if they just look.

I'm going to head to bed after checking on Goldfish. Since we're back in crab season, she is back to being on call 24 hours a day - the landing reports have to be filed within 6 hours of unloading, no matter what time it is, and she is working on a complicated one where they have two species of crab on board, caught in different areas - and she's coming down with a cold, probably sick from worry over the possibilty of "impending doom", poor thing . . . cheers everyone and thanks for your good wishes and happy thoughts!

4 comments:

Kym said...

I'm glad to hear you are getting better!

I was impressed by the amount of sick days taken in your place. People are tough up there. Reminds me of how life used to be here.

Lothian said...

I am so glad to hear you are doing better! Just take it a little easier this time.

Anonymous said...

Well glad to hear everything is ok with the leg thing. But I still think you should listen to your big brother and take it easy, and watch for the "impending doom" thing very closely.
Love you Dad

Bren said...

Impending doom! I though it was my little brother chasing me with a knife!

Do be careful. This is not the time to be super tough! Feel the sensitive side.

love ya