Saturday, February 9, 2008

Not A Cloud In The Sky


It was a stunning day today, a day of calm and sun and flat seas, a day that can only truly be appreciated by putting it in the context of the past week of storms. And perhaps the next week of storms as well, but today . . . well, it was perfect. It may be the storms raging inside my body have let up as well contributing greatly to my sense of well being; the doctors seem to have the leg headed in the right direction, my cold is almost gone, and the island is absolutely INFESTED with bald eagles - there is no other way to describe it. You can see an even two dozen perched on the Pollock Plant and I couldn't resist the one spreading its wings at the top of the access ladder. You know me, the forecast calls for more eagle pictures posted in the days ahead . . . .

Actually, our semi-active volcano was venting steam today, I saw hundreds of a new type of duck on the Dutch Harbor side, and that black fox that torments Chico so much walked by the window while I was typing this post, so who knows what I'll post tommorow! Cheers, have a great weekend - steve

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey ya Steve! Glad to hear things are starting to look up...speaking of looking up..GREAT shot of the Eagle perched at the top of the access ladder!
Get that leg healed up! Looking forward to the future Eagle pics.

Kym said...

I agree with Mystic. Great shot. You should put out a wildlife calendar!

Lothian said...

I am glad to hear that peace and normalcy has returned to Unalaska. At least for the time being...

Jennifer McKenzie said...

That first picture is so cool!!! What a gorgeous day.

Alaska Steve said...

The only problem is there isn't much wildlife out here . . . eagles, ravens, sea birds, some sea mammals, foxes and horses . . . I miss moose, bears and wolves but I do love the abundance out here, you can always see something going on out the window!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you were waiting for a little "gift" from your eagle friend there. Looks dangerous. I noticed on the news the other day, that no matter what is going on elsewhere in Alaska, it is always 34 degrees there in Unalaska.

Love you