CHRISTMAS! We have a dusting of snow again, and the little pond in the moutains at the trail head over the pass has a skim of ice on it, and Alaska Ship Supply has their stock of trees on display. In case you're wondering, the four footer on the right is $82, the hazard of living on a rock in the Bering Sea.
Here is my Christmas Quiz answers:
1. Eggnog or hot chocolate? Umm, neither . . . I like good coffee (my Dad and brother make exceptional coffee) or this Christmas punch that has been in the family for as long as I have - not sure what's in it exactly . . .
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just put them under the tree? Santa puts presents by the tree, or by the stockings.
3. Colored or white lights on tree/house? I'm 44, so when I was little there wasn't all these lighting options - there were big colored lights that got very hot and dried out the tree and burned your hand if you were adjusting an ornament and brushed against one. Today, I like both, and lots of 'em.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? Not usually.
5. When do you put your decorations up? We're decorating when Goldfish gets back from vacation. Normally anytime after Thanksgiving is fine with me.
6. What is your holiday dish (excluding dessert)? For breakfast we always feasted on all the leftovers from the open house on Christmas Eve. For Christmas dinner my brother cooks a mean roast - prime rib, rack of lamb, you name it, he's the master.
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child. My Mom passed away in 1994 so my very favorite Christmas memories have her in them - we would have an open house Christmas Eve (my Unlce does this now) and have lots of company over, we would "make a tape" for my sister who lived in Colorado at the time so she could "listen in", and we would chose just the right present (just one!) to open Christmas Eve. My Mom did lots of baking, and she would wrap presents in her bedroom and place them at the top of the stairs for me to bring down and place under the tree as she got them wrapped. My Mom was amazing . . . . My other favorite memories are of when my boys were little.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don't remember exactly when and how but I remember I held on to the magic of Christmas longer than most. I think I still believe in Santa, actually . . . .
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? One gift on Christmas Eve - sometimes the adults don't open one but the kids always do.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? I admire folks that decorate with themes - my Uncle puts up 4 or 5 trees, each with a theme, each brilliantly executed. My favorite one is the log cabin theme one he puts up in the study. There is also a teddy bear one in the dining room, a Star Wars theme on in the hallway, and one or two more. I used to have some old ornanments but my house burned to the ground in 1995 or '96 and I have been very slowly collecting a few every year to replace those ever since. When I lived in a log cabin on a lake 4 years ago a cabin themed tree would have been sweet. Out here I'm working on a driftwood tree idea with beach combing finds hanging on it. To supplement the mandatory regular tree . . . .
11. Snow! Love it or dread it? I love snow - except for two years in Kentucky when I was in the Army I have lived in either Maine (23 years) or Alaska (19 years) so snow is a part of who I am.
12. Can you ice skate? Sort of . . . it's not pretty . . . .
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I don't really remember gifts, I remember time spent with family and friends. My sons know me really well and always pick something sweet.
14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you? Being with family and friends.
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? My sister's homemade pecan logs.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? One that has continued for a long time is me, my brother and my Dad having an annual meeting of The Holey Sock Society on Christmas morning. The idea is to see who can show up wearing the most holey, mutilated pair of socks. We even do it over the phone.
17. What tops your tree? The tree at my Dad's house is topped with an angel that has hair from my older sister's first haircut!
18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Giving, by far. I am not materialistic, the things I treasure are my family and rocks, shells, bones etc that I drag home from exploring the world. I love getting stuff for others though . . .
19. What is your favourite Christmas song? The Halleluyah Chorus
20. Candy canes. Good on the tree, good in a stocking, good all the way around.
21. Favourite Christmas movie? I like the original Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. The Bumble used to terrorize me when I was little and I love how the guy throws his pick up in the air then sniffs it and licks it and says "Nothin".
22. What do you leave for Santa? When I was little I left milk and cookies - now that I'm part of the delivery team, I recommend everyone leave Santa a 2008 Harley V-Rod, black with black annodized all the way around. I mean, Santa deserves it, right? Merry Christmas everyone!
Feel free to answer a question or two in the comments section!
THE FINAL BLOG - OK OK, I can take a hint. I always thought it would be my decision at some point to stop the blog. It turns out was somebody else’s choice. If I cannot pos...
1 month ago