Sunday, December 16, 2007

A Different Perspective

I'm back on the island - the outside was wonderful to visit but it was nice to be home. The folks at the Seattle office made me feel right at home from the moment I arrived and we got done all we needed to and had a little fun besides - thank Josh and Cindy for everything!

Friday afternoon I got a rental and drove over to Kennewick to meet my sister at my niece's place. Maya and Rachel, thanks for hosting our quick little reunion - Rachel, thanks for making me feel so at home (again) and your efforts in the kitchen! Sis and family it was great to see you, even if it was quick - love you all.

It was a bit surreal being outside - endless choices, everyone scurrying around. Just driving on the freeway at 70 mph was strange after 6 months out here, never really driving faster than 30. Winter came to the island while I was gone in the form of a few inches of snow and while Chico and I walked along the river bank right after I arrived home I looked at the bald eagle on top of the power pole, listened to the ducks making a fuss by the river mouth, and watched a crab boat in the channel - Seattle seemed like a million miles away . . . .

I like the rock in the picture - it is on the beach at Summer's Bay and it is only about 8 inches tall but I am lying on my belly in the sand making it appear much larger at first glance - a different perspective . . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will have to go down and visit sometime too. It's been a while. Glad to see you made it back safely. Hope there was a little turbulence for you though. Make things a little more interesting. Like the shot of the enormous boulder!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Steve!! You have such an amazing life! I - for one - am grateful you choose to share it, in conjuction with your quirky and talented photographic mind!

Alaska Steve said...

Zack, sorry but it was smooth all the way in, the smoothest ever!

Cris, we all love your dedication as a reader - why not start a blog so we can return the favor? I know there is enough going on in Dallas to keep us interested . . .

Anonymous said...

Steve, I work at a newspaper. Newspapers are notorius for NOT paying their dedicated employees too well. Consequently, I do not have a computer at home. I don't think the paper will allow me to start a blog on their network. Sorry! I would love to have a blog ( I am soooooo opinionated!! LOL ) I'm thinkng maybe next year.
In the meantime, I hope you don't mind if I keep visiting you :o)!!