Monday, October 1, 2007

Wierd Feeling



I started my new job today - same company - and I felt disconnected from the whole process. In the plant I could watch sea lions jump out of the water with salmon in their mouth, watch the boats go by in the East Channel, watch the sunrise every morning, watch the birds, watch the salmon jumping, watch the weather change (sometimes minute by minute), watch the wind play with the water. Now, in the engineering office, I don't even see the outside until I go to lunch or come home. I think the solution might be to take a walk at lunch and then spend lots of time outside in the evenings when I can.

We were up on Haystack Saturday and I took pictures of the Iliuliuik River below. In the top picture, see all the white things in the water? Those are spawned out salmon that won't flush out until the next tide. The middle picture shows the seagulls making a guantlet for the salmon to run on their way upstream; you can see all the fins of the salmon sticking out of the water. The bottom picture shows the number of gulls there were with the Russian Orthodox Church in the background.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you will get to like the new job. Plus it will make the hikes in the evening more enjoyable. Although I can see how it is quite a different pace though. Believe me I know( I work in a cave). No wonder I can see better at night eh? Must get out of the cave. Help me...

Jennifer McKenzie said...

I love your pictures. And I hope you do take walks on your lunch.

Alaska Steve said...

I'm sure the new job will work out okay, it has definite advantages. Right now I'm just going through an adjustment, finding my way. I definitely need more walks - no more eating like a lumberjack because I work hard all day . . . .