Monday, March 15, 2010

The Aftermath . . .

Goldfish had Sunday afternoon off from work and took a few photos of the house and yard for your viewing pleasure. Sunday was the "eye" of a massive storm front; the howling North wind died away to nothing, the sun came out, and the island looked spectacular. Above, you can see what swirling 80 MPH wind combined with an unlimited supply of snow will sculpt on a front porch, right in front of the door.

The snow was sculpted in amazing shapes like albino sandstone formed by a very talented artist. This wall of wind carved snow is right next to the house on the North side.

View looking towards the south. This is our dog walking area and the snowshoeing conditions are just primo now!

Because of the wind direction, the backside and south side of the house is where the snow really piled up, right up to the roof line. Tonight I was sitting in the recliner and saw foxes walking by right next to the house - through the skylights over the dining room table!

Amazing what the wind can do, just gorgeous.

This photo in hindsight should have provided a warning; Chico is clearly hatching some sort of plan. Just a few hours after this was taken Goldfish and I would spend the entire evening chasing Chico all over the valley, while Chico chased foxes to the point of exhaustion and eventual collapse. I snowshoed up the valley and located him not moving. After a massage to get his blood moving and some work on his paws, I slowly led him out in the darkness to a very relieved Goldfish and after carrying him into the house around 11 PM I collapsed myself. He and I were both a bit stiff this morning but no long-term harm was done.

12 comments:

Mj in Md said...

WOW! Great pictures of one of natures finest works. The winds "snow sculptures" are just incredible. I'm especially impressed with the amount of snow that can just hang off the edge of buildings...and how the snow is shaped INside a drift. We had a record setting winter this year with two storms w/in a week. I could've used a whole memory stick on drifts alone....
Thanks, Goldfish!! Oh, and very glad Chico is okay. :-)

verybadcat said...

As always, your pics are breathtaking, and I can so see the mischief in Chico's eyes...

:)

Capt. Schmoe said...

Looks like Chico almost got "outfoxed". Glad you both are OK.

Margrita said...

Just awesome the pictures are great thank you so much for sharing.

Lauri said...

Fantastic photos and narrative, Steve! I remember chasing Elmo and Rio for HOURS and HOURS...then finally giving up and going back to collect them later. I long for those days, when Elmo was in primo health! Happy to hear Chico is okay! Happy St. Patty's Day to ya!

Lauri

mamawas said...

love the snowy front door. I know Mel was stranded in ANC for days!!!!
Thanks sorry I do not post to your blog more I am still a fan

Donna

la isla d'lisa said...

I think I love Chico and his refusal to submit to the ravages of time. GOOD BOY!

Richard & Penelope said...

apIt reminds me of a blizzard that we had in Maine back in 1952. The drifts were so nigh that the plows could not get through them. It was the first and last time that Waterville had to use the Lombard tractor that I know of. They did not get through my street in Clinton until mid afternoon. I took the day off. Good old days? You will remember them just as I do.
Love D&P

AlaskanDave said...

Steve....do ya need some snow ?

Good job..

Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Once again, absolutely FABULOUS photographs -- more selections for your 2011 calendar!!

BZ

gpc said...

Beautiful, scary - glad you're all okay.

Lori said...

Only two words: Beautiful and OMG!
(oh, and I totally agree with BZ)