Tuesday, May 5, 2009

View from the Bedroom Window

I'm always posting pictures from the living room window of the East Channel, Iliuliuk Bay, and beyond, the Bering Sea.  Looking out the backside of my place is Haystack Hill and - below and not in sight in the picture above - Iliuliuk Creek.  There is usually an eagle on top of that pole at all hours of the day, and the first thing I do when I walk out the door for an evening dog walk is to peek a look at the top of the pole and see if I'm being watched.  You can see the snow is gone on Haystack and the grass is just starting to show a little life.

The creek is full of pink salmon in the summer and I fall asleep to the sound of their splashing as they move up the creek.  A few silver salmon can be found among the pinks but I find what the eagles are watching for during the 9 months of the year when there are not salmon present is the lowly Irish Lord, a type of sculpin that is known in Alaska for both its abundance and its propensity for eating anything and everything.  They are quite the sport fishing disappointment when caught in the pursuit of ling cod or halibut but from what I have seen from the bedroom window, eagles are more than happy to pick through the boney flesh for a meal.

6 comments:

Lori said...

Morning Steve! I am happy to see that things are starting to green up and the snow is disappearing; although, you know I will miss all those beautiful winter pics! On to summer and looking forward to the pics from up on Haystack and Bunker Hill.

Bren said...

I too enjoyed the view of the creek. When I was there, three eagles were always on the bank. A mother duck was brave enough to get her young by their watchful eye to escape a fox walking along the river bank. Quite a busy apartment you have. Love and miss you.

Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Don't know if you guys experience a season of allergies during spring, but the pollen count and the people sneezing is astronomical here in Fornicalia.

BZ

Alaska Steve said...

BZ, Dutch Harbor is the #1 port of entry for infectious disease in North America, so trust me, we're experiencing a whole range of symptoms from a whole rainbow of causes at any given time . . . .

Lauri said...

I cringe thinking about my allergies...just sitting here waiting for them to attack! Going to see an allergist in Seattle in a month or so....they get worse every year...Steve is right, we get everything from everywhere ;)

mamawas said...

awful to hear Dutch is the harbor for infectious diseases.

any swine flu?

Donna