Saturday, January 24, 2009

Road to Summers Bay



After work yesterday I rode my motorcycle out to Summers Bay with Goldfish and Chico following in the car.  I was amazing to be able to make it out there - and beyond - this time of year!  Usually the avalanches close that road for months so it was a real treat to walk on the beach and see what the winter storms had deposited with no other footprints in sight.  After that we hit the Crab Pot Deli for a Club Sandwich and a Bread Bowl of chowder (thanks Lauri for the recommendation on your blog!).  Chico loves the beach at Summers Bay because it is mostly sand so it is easy on his feet and he has a huge area to really run his heart out; I love it because you never know what you might see, and it is almost always deserted except in the months the salmon are running along the beach and into the small stream.

11 comments:

Gigi said...

It looks so peaceful.

Suzassippi said...

I guess that little starfish (?) is what they mean when they say curl up your toes and die. :( I love seeing Chico!

Kimi said...

Love the pics. Geez that is such a beautiful place.

purrduedvm said...

Ahh..I actually just felt more relaxed just reading this post AND seeing those photos. Sounds nice.

Lauri said...

I love your pics, Chico is a lucky dog! I am amazed too, that you were able to get all the way out there. I may have to try it before the weather turns on us again.

TwoYaks said...

Nice pictures. :) Chico looks like a good sized dog. Getting out to run must be great for him. What sort is he?

Elizabeth Douglas said...

Oh! Beautiful day! Chico's an awesome looking dog...is he a particular breed or a mix? Also, is that a sea sunflower in your first picture? I found some of those snorkeling in Sitka...very cool critters and they're a lot sturdier than they look!

Lori said...

Amazing this time of year. Absolutely love the pics with Chico in the forground. What a sense of peacefulness this morning. Watched "Call of the Wild" last night (the newer version) - what a story, Have you read the book Steve? I really want to read the book now.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful spot. :) I love shells, and those in the first pic are incredible. Big and pretty.....

Kelly said...

Chico is a pound rescue, right from Unalaska Island - he has lived here much longer than I have! I'm not sure exactly what breeds comprise his heritage, I just know he is a special dog.

I read Call of the Wild a long time ago, it might be time to read it again . . .

Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Again, those are stellar photographs with exquisite framing. Very much enjoyed Chico and the mountain.

Kinda sounds like a TV series doesn't it: "Chico & The Mountain", Tuesdays, 8 pm, on TNT.

BZ