Friday, March 21, 2008

Too Many Eagles?



Goldfish and I snowshoed up the back side of Bunker Hill tonight in a nice gale and I'm just starting to thaw after a hot shower and a giant mug of hot tea. That Goldfish, she's tougher than she looks . . . . I had to consult a windchill chart when I got home and was surprised to see at an air temp of 20 degrees, an increase in wind from 20 mph (baseline tonight) to gusts of easily 60 mph (almost knocking me down) the windchill only drops 8 degrees. The moral of the story is for me to dress more warmly when Goldfish is picking the workout, and that conditions looked and felt a lot more extreme than they actually were at the summit - I just knew I had to keep moving, and fast, or I was going to get hurt by the cold. I had a nice iced up beard going by the time we got back to the car and two ice horns growing out of my eyebrows.

The picture above I took last month and I think it demonstrates that sometimes there is such a thing as too many eagles - they aren't quite as majestic when there are 50 or 60 in the frame. It was however a great opportunity to observe group behavior and I did come away with a couple nice close-ups of individual eagles that I've posted earlier.

4 comments:

Jennifer McKenzie said...

That's a lot of eagles!!!
I have a surprise for you on my Saturday post.

Lothian said...

Holy moley!

Alaska Steve said...

Thanks Jen, that was really nice of you! Have a great Easter with your boys . . .

Anonymous said...

Whoa that is quite the workout indeed. Sounds a little cold. Hey you made it without completely turning into an ice cube though.