Thursday, February 21, 2008

Chalk One Up for the Raven

When I was walking Chico after work tonight I saw an amazing aerial show and I have to give kudos to the raven for some spectacular maneuvers. The raven had what must have been a supreme bit-o-nasty in its beak - I could see it dangling but couldn't identify it - and four eagles were trying to take it away from him. The eagles acted together, like a pack, but the raven simply out flew them. It was embarrassing, really - an eagle would be inches away, talons out-stretched, and I would be positive the raven was as good as dead, and that raven would pull some freakish barrel roll move and escape - again and again. It all took place right over my head like some 3D movie effect, complete with the whooshing of wings as eagles pulled out of dives just before the ground and swung around for another attack. What surprised me was the quiet - no squawks, no eagle cries, not a sound except wings as the birds went about the deadly business of survival.

And yes, the raven won the dogfight, landing in a sheltered spot long enough to gulp down the morsel and take off . . . . which all has nothing to do with the photo, these are eagles on the F/V Alaska Rose I photographed yesterday.

4 comments:

trblcmn said...

What a great shot, shows how awesomely huge the eagles are.

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous bit of imagery! Thank you for the story, and GO RAVENS! LOL

Kym said...

I love the story and This photo cracks me up. It reminds me of my stern grandfather beetling his eyebrows at me and complaining that I didn't color in the lines.

Anonymous said...

That kind of reminds me of the squirrel watching i like to do here in town outside of our house. It often amazes me the acrobatics that these squirrels do from tightroping across the telephone wires to daredevil leaps of faith onto tiny tree branches. It's especially nice in the summer when i get to bust out the grill, sit on the porch with a nice cold beverage and watch the grey squirrels entertain me. Definately a fun pastime in Valley City, ND. Love you dad and all is well around here.