Thursday, January 3, 2008

Goals for 2008

As you can see our little foot bridge over the Iliuliuk River is lit up for the holidays. The river is right across the street from my place and I walk the dog along the bank every night before bed.

I'm not going to make any elaborate lists of resolutions this year but I do have some ideas for the next year or two, some are new and some are goals that have been around for awhile but are still current. I've done a lot of really cool things in my life but I'm always stretching to accomplish more . . .

1. I (still) want to finish the sculpture that won't stop haunting me, "The Dichotomy of Man". Now I have the added challenge of getting a 130 pound piece of alabaster out to an island in the Bering Sea.

2. I want to get (much) better at finger style guitar and write some original songs. This will be a big stretch for me but I'm fascinated by the process.

3. I want to get scuba certified and dive some of the ship wrecks out here, maybe get re-certified as an EMT and join the volunteer rescue squad.

4. I want to take two great vacations this year - three weeks to fly and drive to Maine, visiting family along the way, and two weeks staying on the west coast, maybe driving 101 with Goldfish and taking time to smell the roses. I'll save a week to enjoy out here . . . I guess that makes three vacations, but I do work pretty hard!

5. I want to continue to hike around the island, taking pictures and blogging to stay in touch with everyone. I want to finish getting healthy. I want to fill our freezer with salmon and berries from the summer bounty so we can eat healthy all winter.

6. I want to continue to work on my soap making, as well as all my other projects. I've got some very cool ideas that I need to devote time to and finish up. Maybe get a table at the craft show next fall . . .

7. I want to start building a kayak in the basement. Everybody needs a monster project to work and focus on . . .

8. I want to work on my Spanish and Tagolag so I can communicate better with friends at work.

Okay, that's plenty . . . of course I want to read more, stay in better contact with my family, and be a better friend to my dog :o) I also want to keep Goldfish happy and encourage whatever hopes and dreams she has for the new year. What are some of everyone elses goals for 2008?

8 comments:

Lothian said...

I think it is a great idea to list things you hope to accomplish in the future rather than resolutions. I like the one about being scuba certified, I too hope to do that someday. Good luck!

Jennifer McKenzie said...

You're much more ambitious than I am. That sounds awesome.
And Highway 101 is one of the most beautiful drives. It twists and turns along the coast through beautiful forests, tiny coastal towns and big cities (like San Francisco).
I'd love to take it all the way up to Alaska.
I've been as far as the Washington state border.

Alaska Steve said...

Jen, you're plenty ambitious, just in different ways. I love 101, especially on a motorcycle, and especially when the tourists have gone home. Heard you are getting some Dutch Harbor weather down there? Lothian, keep your eye on that goal . . .

Anonymous said...

Nice goals, Steve. Now you're inspiring me to set some of my own...now I have to go think for a while and make it a good list!

Alaska Steve said...

Pat, let me know when you've got your list ready, I'm sure it's going to be a good one!

Anonymous said...

These are just a few of the things that have crossed my mind as far as resolutions/goals for the coming year.

1) Start stretching every day. Gotta keep flexible!

2) Solve a Rubix cube. Hopefully in time to get the prize!

3) Keep up on the doing the dishes. There were some times that they would get pretty out of control after we'd cook so i'm going to make sure they don't get out of hand.

4)Be the best darn dad, husband, son, and friend that i can be this year.

Alaska Steve said...

Great goals son - and let's not forget this is the year we both build a massive gingerbread house - we'll post them both on the blog. Love you, great to talk to you last night! Dad

Anonymous said...

I love both of your guys' resolutions. Dad, you have quite the list, and I wish you luck. Especially with the kayaking, and of course "The Dichotomy of Man" sculpture. Which I just happen to know you have been wanting to do for a while. Oh and T good luck with the dishes, I know how hard that can be. Especially after having a full house here this Christmas. Oh and you forgot Brother, but i forgive you. I guess I could be your friend too. Love you both.