Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Summit of Ballyhoo



I had yesterday off and I used the opportunity to call my Dad and hike to the summit of Ballyhoo. I had hiked around on Ballyhoo (that is where I watch whales from) but never to the top so I was pretty excited. You can see from the picture of Chico it was extremely windy near the summit - I'm guessing gusts to 30 or 40 knots. In the top photo I am about two thirds of the way to the top ducked behind a rock outcrop to get out of the wind for a bit. The bottom picture looks along the summit ridge towards the open Bering Sea. On the summit I lay on my belly and watched the whales for awhile before hiking back down. I'm just sorry I took so long to make this hike because it is definitely do-able in the evening after work and the view is spectacular.
Goldfish made the hike today on her day off and there was almost no wind so she hiked in a t-shirt the whole way - what a difference a day makes! She has bettter pictures from the summit than I do - better camera, better weather and a better eye for the shot - but I only use my pictures on this blog, so you're stuck with my view . . . . .cheers and goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your camera does just fine. That is a spectacular view in the bottom shot. I like how you can't tell where the water ends and the sky begins.