Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day Dad





I consider myself very blessed in the father department, both as the son of the fellow pictured above and as the father of two perfect boys. My Dad provided me with a great example of what it meant to be a father - patient, kind hearted, hard-working, self-sacrificing to a point but always having hobbies and interests, and always striving to be a better person. I've blogged before about my Dad and it is still all true; Dad has mellowed a bit in his 75th year but is still all he ever was and more and I know he'll still be a great Dad when he turns 100 - I'm just looking forward to retiring as soon as possible so I can hang out with him more. The pictures above are from old slides I scanned two years ago when I spent the winter in Maine. All but one of them were taken before I was born; it's fascinating to connect with Dads in their younger years, in all the pictures he is younger than I am now. I love you Dad, thanks for the foundation you gave me.

As for my sons, I am so very proud of the young men - and in Trevor's case, the father - they have become. To all the Dad's out there - Happy Father's Day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's I know! Especially the father of my wonderful Dad! Thanks for sharing these pictures of him, by the way. I love both of you. Of course the newest one, Trevor too. He is doing such a great job.

Zack

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Happy Father's Day Steve!!! Hope you got to talk to both the boys.

Bren said...

Dad,

I hope you loved the lobster and time with family.

love ya

Lothian said...

I love love love that last picture of him! What a sweet post, I hope you had a wonderful day.